Πέμπτη 16 Ιανουαρίου 2014

Exclusive: Ex-Escape The Fate vocalist Ronnie Radke breaks his silence after prison release

When RONNIE RADKE got out of prison, after spending nearly two-and-a-half-years there. In January 2008, the 27-year-old was convicted of battery with substantial bodily harm for his role in a high-profile May 2006 fight in his hometown of Las Vegas that left 18-year-old Michael Cook dead. Radke originally avoided jail time, but after violating terms of his probation, he was sent to prison in August 2008. While incarcerated, Radke started a new band, From Behind These Walls, which is now known as FALLING IN REVERSE

SOME QUESTIONS TO RONNIE RADKE 

Were you allowed to have visitors?
 
Yeah. I had to choose my visitors. The only person I chose to come visit me was my friend Nason [Schoeffler, bassist in Falling in Reverse]. There were a lot of people that wanted to come visit me, but I didn’t want to. I didn’t want to talk to anybody. I wanted to start new. I just wanted to have a new life. I don’t want to deal with all the drama anymore, I want to save it for the record.


That makes sense. There are a lot of people around you in the past who didn’t have your best interests at heart and were bad influences. To get clean and stay clean, you almost have to cut people out.
It’s almost impossible when the dudes in your old band were doing drugs with you. When the ball drops, when everything starts crumbling, there’s only one person to blame after that. That’s when you figure out who your real friends are, if you know what I’m saying. It’s like all of a sudden, it’s allmy fault. [Escape The Fate bassist] Max Green used to help me get drugs. He used to help me steal money. He used to drive me around ‘cause I never had a license, so he was the one that was driving the van. We’d stop at places and we’d sell our merch to get drugs. And it was him driving. [A representative for Green, who is currently in rehab , declined to comment at this time. 
I remember Brett Gurewitz from Epitaph Records—I had just got out of jail for these traffic tickets, and he’s like, “You gotta go to rehab.” And he’s like, “Max, I’m trusting you to pick him up and take him straight to rehab.” [Green was] like, “Yeah, man, I got it.” No one knew Max was a drug addict then. He kept it on the down-low. Right when I got out, Max was like, “We gotta go to rehab. But do you want to stop at the drug dealer’s house first?” I was like, “Yeah.” Seven days later, I finally went to rehab.

When was that?
That was the only time I ever went to rehab, it was before [2006’s] Dying Is Your Latest Fashioncame out. I always thought [Green] was a good friend, and I didn’t know what a good friend was. I don’t think a friend would do that to you, and then stab you in the back. Not to mention, I’ve known [the members of Escape The Fate] for so long, then [they talked] all this shit while I was in prison for something I didn’t do. I really didn’t do it. Everybody knows it. You can read the discovery—the legal part, what really happened—and you can see that I didn’t do it. I’m the only one that went to prison. I didn’t shoot anybody. I didn’t punch anybody. I was what they call the face of everything.

Have you talked to Green lately? When’s the last time you’ve talked to him?
He’s never written me one letter, no. All [Escape The Fate] do is talk shit about me.

So you haven’t talked to anyone in the band?
No, they’ve never written me any letters. Not even one.

Do you miss them?
No. Well, at first, when I first went in, it was so fresh, I would miss them. Then it just started getting like, “Oh, he got caught with heroin.” They’d start making up lies. “He’s addicted to heroin, in prison. He got caught with heroin. Fuck him. Go suck his dick,” to, like, 13-year-old children while onstage. They’re telling these kids, you know, “Fuck the old singer. He just got caught with heroin, he’s going to be in there for a long-ass time. This next song’s called ‘Situations,’” and then go sing my song. It’s just like, I don’t know. I don’t want to talk to [Green]. We’re not friends. We’ll never be friends after that. How could you be friends with somebody that would do that to you? Plus for knowing you for so long, too. That’s, like, heartless, you know?


 You haven’t had room for that, in a way.
Yeah. I only write how I feel. And I’m not going to lie to myself and try to write songs on how much I love somebody. I do have love, but… there will be a lot of songs about just what I’ve been through. What I’m going through and what I’m going to do.

How many songs did you end up writing?
About 25 songs that are done, and 30 miscellaneous.
escape the fate:



falling in reverse:

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου